Dr. Needham, in his book Collaborative Commonwealth describes a nation which can exist virtually and without borders; serves ALL people (Members as Citizens), independent of race, color, creed, place of birth, or religious belief that have joined together under a common goal of achieving a better life. He goes on to say that it requires trust; individual rights and sovereignty; liberty;and the pursuit of happiness. The founders of the United States believed similarly in a republic; unfortunately it has become corrupted by a "gang in charge" in the name of a democracy. According to Alexander Tytler, democracies rise and fall about every 250 years and ultimately decline into a dictatorship. We choose to conduct our business affairs as a Collaborative Commonwealth to avoid such a future.
A Constitution is defined as a body of fundamental principles or precedents by which a state, nation, or organization has mutually agreed to be governed. It should always provide that the individual, who is personally sovereign, may, upon disagreement and protection of their individual rights, be able to opt-out of the nation at will and without recourse.
The Freelancer Nation Constitution
Preamble. We the Members of the Freelancer Nation, seeking truth, honor, fairness, and equality do unite as a nation of independent business owners (freelancers) without boarders to promote commerce globally that ensures prosperity and welfare for ALL our Members and secures the Blessings of Liberty to individuals and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Freelancer Nation.
Article One. We choose to govern as a Collaborative Commonwealth, a league, or confederacy of independent persons and businesses (Members), where each individual Member has one voice and one vote, is sovereign and may opt-out without duress or recourse should the Collaborative Commonwealth cease to align with their individual rights and ideals. That all Members of the Nation shall be Members of Collaborate CoOp, a cooperative association.That those Members who voluntarily choose to may purchase ownership in Collaborate CoOp by paying a one-time Share Fee of $240 (called a Share Member), and may vote for a Board of Directors of Collaborate CoOp who shall represent the Members in contract and governance. The Board of Directors shall rotate annually as per the Bylaws of the cooperative association.
Article Two. We are dual citizens in that we voluntarily are Members of Freelancer Nation and we also are citizens of one or more other nations. We are not anarchist, we obey the law, unless it violates our God-given rights. We pledge to comply with all laws which are of our land(s) that are decent and fair to all. We are resolved in unity and therefore disputes between our Members will be resolved to a fair and reasonable outcome for all. We do not seek to use the legal system of any nation to resolve our differences. We agree to abide by our contracts and agreements independent of jurisdiction and venue and resolve our difference amicably between us.
Article Three. We extend full faith and credit to our fellow Members. We agree to pay according to our mutually negotiated contracts and agreements. In exchange, we agree to perform all our work and services with honor, excellence, and fairness showing that our word has value in our nation.
Freelancer Nation Declaration of Independence
I am an independent business person, able to express my thoughts and ideas, make and sell products and service for a profit, set my own hours, and work from where I desire. I am personally sovereign and able to choose for myself. I am free to work alone or to contract with others in my pursuit of happiness, life, and liberty. I obey the law, but refuse to be enslaved by physical of fiscal policies that remove my freedom to choose my livelihood. I treat others with fairness and expect the same in return.
Freelancer Nation Member Bill of Rights
A Bill of Rights is a formal declaration of legal and civil rights. At Freelancer Nation, as a Member, you have rights.
- Mutual Fairness. You have a right to expect fairness in a contract or agreement provided you have extended fairness first. Our nation is made up of both Freelancers who provide a product or service (WORK) and businesses and individuals who purchase those products or services for their projects or themselves (HIRE).
- Independent Contractor Status. You are an independent business free to conduct yourself as such, provided you have taken the steps required by law to qualify as a business. Because you pay taxes, you also can take legal tax deductions that employees cannot take. Because you accept the risk of business ownership, you have the right to earn more than an employee. You can control you own time, but you must by contract or agreement deliver those promises in an agreed upon time-frame. You may perform your services remotely or locally as the contract or agreement may state. You have freedom with responsibility.
- A Negotiated Marketplace. As a Freelancer, you are selling your experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities; you have the right to offer (Bid) at a stated price and the buyer of your products or services has a right to value those products or services and make a different offer (Ask). Neither is required to enter into a contact or agreement without a mutually agreed upon (negotiated) price.
- Compensation. If asked to perform a service and you do, you must be paid the agreed upon compensation; and if you agreed to pay for a service and it is performed you must pay the agreed up price for the WORK done immediately.
- A Voice. You are allowed to freely speak about any topic you desire as long as in doing so you respect others. The nation does not allow bullying, but does allow honor and truth.
- A Vote. ALL Members are allowed to vote on any voice expressed for or against. As a Share Member, you are allowed one share and one vote in the matters of governance of the nation (the Cooperative Association).
- Mutual Resolution of Disputes. If you Bid services, a buyer accepts, and you have an agreement or contract; if either party is dissatisfied at the end of the project, each has the right to resolve the differences equitably. All Members of Freelancer Nation agree to mutual resolution of disputes rather than litigation in courts where justice may or may not be offered; but expenses and lost relationships are certain. We either choose to govern our own actions;else others will take your rights and do it for you - KEEP YOUR FREEDOM; resolve conflicts and forgive!